The history of the railway
The Teifi Valley Railway was originally conceived as a 7 ft 0¼in Brunel 'broad' gauge line between Carmarthen and Cardigan. The broad gauge line (later converted to standard gauge) was built in stages by the Carmarthen & Cardigan Railway Company, running through Cynwyl Elfed and Pencader, reaching Llandysul in 1864. The company suffered financial difficulties, and never extended past Llandysul, eventually being bought out by the Great Western Railway in 1882.
The Great Western Railway eventually extended the line from Llandysul to Newcastle Emlyn by 1895. There were two stations on this new extension; Pentrecwrt Halt and Henllan.
Following nationalisation, passenger trains on the entire Carmarthen to Newcastle Emlyn stretch ceased to operate in 1952. In 1973, freight services were discontinued, and the line was closed and dismantled. All that was left were platforms, bridges and a tunnel.